Friday, February 27, 2009

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat

I was introduced to Leinenkugel's in Grad school. I went to a midwestern Big-ten school for Grad school, but I had spent most of my life in the east (aka no Leinenkugel's).

Back when, Leinenkugel's didn't produce as many varieties as they do now, but their products were always enjoyable. I don't remember precisely what variations were available, although I do remember making a run to Wisconsin for Leinenkugel's Bock Beer in the Winter. My friend took his pickup (with cab) and we loaded up the majority of it with cases of Bock.

So --- now I'm back in the same situation as Grad school -- Leinenkugel's is available and Yuengling is not. Oh well...

Tonight's beer of choice is Leinie's Sunset Wheat. Just like Blue Moon, this is a Witbier. It's aroma is of Orange, Coriander, and a few other spices. I'm fairly congested this evening, but I picked up a touch of cloves and possibly cinnamon.

Sunset Wheat has the orange aroma, but the orange in the flavor is subtle and quickly exits in favor of a dry-ish spiced wheat beer. It doesn't drive as much sweetness as Blue Moon throughout, which is good. Also, unlike Blue Moon, Sunset Wheat doesn't leave me with a sensation of thirst. This is probably due to the reduced sweetness and better overall balance.

The underlying wheat beer is quite smooth and well crafted. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm fighting a cold, so the more subtle aspects of the flavor escape me -- that and the fact that I'm terribly tired. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the balance of this beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment