Friday, February 13, 2009

Of Beef, Beer, and my Babe

For most folks out there, Valentine's day arrives on February 14th. For Mrs. Bigdog and I, it arrived a day early -- mostly due to her work schedule.

We had the rare opportunity to go out and enjoy dinner without anyone else along. It isn't that I don't enjoy the rest of the crew; it is just nice to get some quiet one-on-one time with my wife.

She picked where we were going to eat tonight, and she picked very wisely. We went to one of the local restaurants that specializes in steak; a place we used to enjoy but haven't been to recently. There is no way that I'm turning down a trip to a place that knows how to properly cook a steak!

It was almost like they knew I was coming tonight. The special was a blue-cheese encrusted Fillet Mignon served with a loaded baked potato. Once I heard that, the sound of our waitresses voice dwindled off into a distant drone. My mind had no time to process audible input -- I was concentrating on what beer to get with my dinner!

But again, the choice was made immediately obvious by the inclusion of Samuel Adams Winter Ale on the draught selection. While damn near any beer goes well with steak, a dark beer with hints of sweetness in the overtones would go especially well with the bite of the blue cheese.

Again, the fine folks at Samuel Adams did not disappoint. The Winter Ale was absolutely perfect with my steak. I left very happy with my selection of both food and beer, and the wife and I had a great time dining together!

No comments:

Post a Comment