Sunday, March 1, 2009

Magic Hat Circus Boy

I feel like crap tonight... Exhausted, sick, headache, body aches, you name it...

So -- the healthful benefits of beer might be exactly what the Dog ordered. This thought entered my mind while stopping for some basic items at a local convenience store. Unfortunately, the selection was somewhat limited, and this beer was about the most off-the-beaten-path brew available.

From an appearance perspective, I was a little surprised at the clarity of the brew - especially after the label boasts that it is "Unfiltered and Unfettered". Still, the appearance is quite pleasing. The color is light and golden, and it produces a surprising amount of foam for a lower carbonation beer. For an unfiltered Hefeweissen (wheat and yeast beer), I would have expected more cloudiness.

The smell for me is illusive. I do pick up a hint of banana in the aroma of this beer. I would expect, perhaps, slightly more spice or wheat overtones from a hefe.

I rate the taste as "average". I'm going to use the phrase "subtle" to describe the taste. One could interpret "subtle" as a pleasant karmic replacement for "weak". Unfortunately, I could be convinced in either direction. Circus Boy is certainly not a "strong" beer when it comes to taste. It does not balance overly with spice, nor with yeast, nor with wheat. It does have a curious "dry" taste that surfaces after the initial taste wears off. I pick up a slight bitterness in the lead-off taste, and the finish is fairly clean. Carbonation is not heavy -- similar to Buckeye in this category.

Overall, this is a drinkable beer that is refreshing. It certainly isn't going to be first on my list when the craving for a hefeweissen arrives. At the same time, however, it is an enjoyable beer that could easily find its way into my refrigerator. This would be a good warm-weather session beer, most certainly. I don't relegate it to "lawnmower beer" status, but I could easily be convinced to quench a summer's thirst with one.

I'm not having it with any food tonight, but I think it'd be alright with most foods. The lower carbonation might be a good fit with some hot wings or nachos. For tonight, it is being used strictly for medicinal purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment