Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Buckeye Beer - Maumee Bay Brewing Company

A good friend introduced me to this interesting brew last week.

Buckeye Beer ("When you're dry, drink Buckeye") was around from the late 1830's until it was absorbed by Miller Brewing Company in the early 1970's. Miller moved the brewing location out of the Toledo area, and after producing Buckeye for a short period of time, killed the label.

(Aside -- whereas I don't automatically dismiss a macro-brew, I do hate it when big brewers do this kind of thing to local labels.)

You can read a bit about the brewing company here: http://maumeebaybrewing.com/brewery

Apparently, they have very accurately re-created the original beer (without the benefit of actually having the recipe), having reclaimed the rights to the name (due to lack of use by Miller, I believe). So an Ohio classic is reborn, thanks to several enterprising gentlemen. I have no idea how widely available it is. In central Ohio, one Giant-Eagle store I visited had never heard of it, while the other one had a few cases available.

Buckeye Beer is a very classic Pilsner beer, or at least when enters my mind when I think "Pilsner". It opens lightly and fairly crisply, almost Budweiser-like, but has an almost Champagne-like overtone during the finish. The carbonation adds to the "Champagne" hint that I picked up. On the "sweet-bitter" continuum, Buckeye is on the "sweet" side, but not obnoxiously so. Again, its sweetness is on the order of Budweiser, not a hyper-sweet fruit beer.

I found it to be a very refreshing beer with an extremely pleasant taste overall. I've tried it with several different types of food (pizza, meat loaf, hot wings, and other "healthful" delicacies) without regret. Light-hitting Pilsners are often considered "summer" beers (better in warm weather), but I had no trouble whatsoever enjoying Buckeye Beer during a recent stretch of cold, bleak, Ohio weather. It has accompanied my to my (chilly) basement workshop on several occasions, and I have not regretted its company.

Kudos to Maumee Bay Brewing!

4 comments:

  1. Very cool blog! When I'm dry, I drink Buckeye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! Welcome aboard.

    I've been busting ass since 3:30 this morning.

    I'm getting a bit dry, and I'm hearing the call of a cold Buckeye!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check it out!!

    I visited the Maumee Bay Brewing Co's web site the other day and left them some positive comments on Buckeye. Today, I received a reply. Included in the reply was information on who distributes Buckeye in my area. Now I can find a store to order me some and hopefully get the north side hooked on BB, too!

    Talk about classy! Good product at a good price *and* they take the time to write... Pure class!

    Folks -- Buckeye has gone statewide in Ohio. If you're in Ohio, go out and get some! You'll be glad you did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stopped in to the Maumee Bay Brewing Company today, and the experience was wonderful. Lots of memorabilia, a clear view into the brewery itself, and a good atmosphere, even minutes after opening. The server was attentive, well informed and helpful. We tried the Buckeye, The Fallen Timbers Red and also the Dry Irish Stout. My favourite was the Stout, but the Fallen Timbers certainly was no slouch, but then I am a malt lover.
    The food was top-notch for bar fare, stone oven pretzels were large, warm and salty, served with a dipping dish of potato cheese soup (it sounds odd, but was wonderful on pretzels) and mustard. The burgers were grilled to order and served on soft buns with plenty of fillings and hand-cut fries.
    Ambiance, beer, burgers and good service. Definitely worth a visit!

    ReplyDelete