Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Oktoberfest rocks on! Great Lakes Brewing Oktoberfest

Great Lakes Brewing (Cleveland, Ohio) produces some fantastic beers -- some that I can include among my favorites; Elliot Ness, Edmund Fitzgerald, and Dortmunder Gold to name a few.

Needless to say, I was very excited to try this beer.

The beer pours to a medium amber -- not quite as dark as some of the others, and produces a fairly durable foam -- a good looking brew to say the least.  The aroma is subtle, but I picked up some bread and malt hints.

Great Lakes Oktoberfest is way more complex than Leinenkugels, and on par with Brooklyn in terms of character.  It is definitely stronger and bolder all around.  Malt tastes and aromas are clearly evident, as are hops. Starts out with a little smack of carbonation followed by some hops-based bitterness.  This fades into some malty and caramel aftertones that are slightly sweet. 

I think I preferred this one slightly to Brooklyn, but it is close.  Not quite up to Bell's on my chart, but quite good.  I actually prefer a slightly smoother Oktoberfest beer, so this might be why I'm not moving it up on my chart. 

#1 - Bell's
#2 - Great Lakes
#3 - Brooklyn
#4 - Leinenkugel's

No comments:

Post a Comment