Friday, September 18, 2009

Another round of Oktoberfest - Leinenkugel's

I have absolutely no self-control or moderation.  When I went to the store for a six-pack of Sam Adams Oktoberfest, I also picked up a sixer of Leinenkugels and a six of Great Lakes Oktoberfest...

So where to start...

Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest is a good looking brew when poured into a glass.  Absolutely gorgeous deep golden color with rich foam -- nice!  It certainly screams Oktoberfest in appearance, at least.

The aroma and taste of the beer are both good, but not outstanding.  The brew is well balanced, but a bit underwhelming.  Not so much so that I won't be finishing my six-pack... I enjoyed the beer, but it isn't heavy with Oktoberfest character.  I prefer both Bell's and Brooklyn to Leinenkugel's, but that isn't to infer that it isn't a decent brew.

This would be a good beer for someone who is stepping away from light beers or traditional American beers, but doesn't want to end up with something so far off track that they don't enjoy it.  This is a safe choice, and would be a good intermediate brew for such purposes.

So yeah, I'm going to drink all of it -- not a drain pour -- but it isn't going to the top of my Oktoberfest list.

Rankings to date - Domestic Oktoberfest Beers:

#1 - Bell's Oktoberfest
#2 - Brooklyn Brewing Oktoberfest
#3 - Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest

No comments:

Post a Comment